View the entire program via Online Video on or on DVD at
This video is an excerpt from "End of Life Care & Letting Go", a 2-hour training DVD for caregivers.
Teepa Snow, a nationally recognized specialist in Alzheimer's and dementia, teaches her students how a person with dementia perceives their world and how to appropriately adapt their own behavior to increase communication and mutual understanding.
Learn to recognize the progression of a patient in the final stages of dementia and provide the best care with Teepa Snow's appropriate techniques on the disease.
In this 2-hour training program, Teepa explains how to connect with someone in advanced stage dementia, how to recognize and manage pain, and how to help the care team grieve the loss and celebrate the person's life.
– on indicators that the disease has progressed in its final stages and how to provide the most effective comfort care
– how to communicate when there are no words through visual, auditory and physical signals
– about the physical changes and the importance of the primitive reflexes
– techniques for a consistent positive physical focus
– on different approaches to care, from health promotion to compensatory care
– on advanced directives, living will, DNR orders, palliative and hospice care
– about giving the person with dementia permission to go without giving up on them (Letting Go vs. Giving Up)
"End of Life Care & Letting Go" is presented by The Pines Education Institute of SW Florida and facilitated by Teepa Snow, MS, OTR / L, FAOTA.
© 2012, Pines Institute of S.W. Florida and Teepa Snow
Video credits to Pines of Sarasota Education & Training Institute YouTube channel